Friday, April 6, 2012

Outside of my comfort zone

This is an etching I did for the Lake Wales show.  Although I did not win the award, Cindy Alexander (JD Alexander's wife) bought the piece from me.  I created this with a dual purpose.  When not being worn as a brooch, it sits on a miniature portrait easel.  This piece really stretched my skills & creativity.  Due to the amount of soldering, I almost melted it more than once!!  And I walked away and was ready to give up at least 3 times.  But my stubborn nature won the battle and I managed to finish something that I will always remember.

Medium:  Sterling Silver & Copper
Techniques:  Etching, Piercing, Soldering & Cold Connections.

How I created this piece.....
Using heat, I transferred a black & white photo of the JD Alexander building onto a 4x5 inch piece of sterling silver.  I refined the image using a chisel & paint pen prior to etching it into the silver.  Using a jeweler's saw, I carved out the three archways.  I then etched the building name in copper and soldered a decorative sterling border.  I used sterling brads to cold connect the copper back plate to the sterling silver piece.  I added a magnetic clasp to allow the piece to be worn as a brooch.  The miniature easel makes this piece look like a miniature picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment