Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I love PMC Clay!!

For those of you who do not know what PMC clay is, it stands for Precious Metal Clay and when fired in a Kiln the piece comes out either 92.5 sterling silver or .999FS Fine Silver.  This clay was created years ago by Mitsubishi and it is silver with organic material added to give it somewhat of a clay property.  It is literally a lump of clay that can be formed, shaped, carved etc and fired in a Kiln.  I love the fact that when I create something like the below, it is 100% my work.

The far left is the blob of PMC clay.  The middle picture is my sketching.  I then use card stock and draw the shape & idea and use that as my template to carve out the clay.  Originally I had planned to inlay some CZ's but then remembered I had an amazing Opal that would be perfect.

The below is the fired piece.  The picture doesn't really show the beautiful blue patina that picks up the colors from the inlaid Opal.  Now it's time to make this pendant into a complete necklace.  I'll get a better picture when it is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment