Saturday, August 11, 2012

Patience can be rewarding

Item Name:  "The Lady of the Garden"
Created: 8/11/12
Materials & Techniques:  PMC Fine silver clay, 24K gold clay, Sterling Silver, Etching, Silversmithing
 
This past February, I hand carved this 2" x 1 1/4" leaf from PMC (Fine Silver Clay), added a few touches of 24K gold and then placed it on my unfinished project table.  A few months later, I had done some etching in silver so I used a portion of that and added the bail to the pendant and put the piece back on my unfinished project table.  Every now and then I would pick it up and look at it, trying to envision the completed piece and each time I would think to myself, "this needs something more.....".  A few times I would take a pretty stone or something else and lay it on top of the leaf and my thought would always be the same "this needs something more....different.....something...."

A few months ago I found this stunning Cameo that is made from natural Black Lip shell and put it in my stash of "to be used someday".  Then about a month ago somehow I had the Cameo in one hand and the silver leaf in the other, put them together and Viola!!!  This is it!! yes!  So I made a bezel from sterling wire, soldered it to the leaf and set the Cameo in place.  Ahhhhh....so lovely......BUT......what now?  What do I create to make this piece something that can be worn??

Finally this morning it all came together.  Some sterling silver chain, Black speckled Agate, Genuine Moonstone and a beautiful leaf toggle clasp and "The Lady of the Garden" is ready for her debut at the Caladium Art Festival August 24-26.

No comments:

Post a Comment