Wednesday, September 19, 2012

How to Recover from a BIG Ooopppss!!

(If you read my previous blog from Saturday, September 8th, the following story will sound familiar) I created a bezel in a specific size for a particular stone that I wanted to make into a ring.  I created the ring shank and soldered it to the bezel.  While checking how the stone would sit in the bezel my fingers fumbled and oh no!!  The beautiful stone hit my tile floor and broke.  I promptly sat my rear on the floor and tried to convince myself it wasn't the end of the world.  My fellow silversmiths will relate to the fact that unless you cut the stones yourself or the bezel was made to an exact standard measurement (such as 10mmx8mm), it is almost impossible to find a stone to fit into a custom sized bezel.

Over the last couple of weeks I have glanced at this beautiful ring with no stone wondering what could I do and then it hit me "Jeweler's Ice Resin!!"  I could put something in the bezel and fill it with resin.  And of course since I love the sea shells I have collected and made things with, it only seemed natural to use some of those.  So I put in freshwater pearls and added a small but unusual sea shell to the top and everything is held in place with wonderful ice resin.

The picture below is the end result and I have to admit I love it!  It is definitely a ring that will get attention because not only is it pretty but it is sooooo unique.


No comments:

Post a Comment